Pages

Thursday, November 27, 2008

WHY I CHOSE TO FIGHT PACQUIAO-DELA HOYA


Oscar De la Hoya initially thought he had already been there and done that.

Not until the thought of fighting Manny Pacquiao was raised to himlate last year that the Golden Boy realized that there was still one thing to be done: Fight and hopefully beat Manny Pacquiao,acknowledged as the worlds No. 1 boxer regardless of weight category.

"A lot of people ask me: Why did you choose to fight Manny Pacquiao?" De La Hoya wrote in his blog in The Ring website a few days ago and boxings top attraction had three reasons why he opted to sign up Pacquiao for their megabuck match on December 6 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

"The process went like this.I chose Pacquiao first and foremost because of the challenge.Manny Pacquiao is considered the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world today by experts. That is a challenge that motivates me"

"Second .I took the fight because of the fact that they called me out. I always take it as a challenge when you call me out.I'm going to respond to it.I'm going to react to it. And, third, this is a worldwide event. You have the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world and you have the most popular fighter in the sport in world in my self." De La Hoya said.

The idea of a De La hoya- Pacquiao fight was first raised by HBO boxing analyst Larry Merchant during his regular discussion with ESPN fight scribe Dan Rafael.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to My Chismis by Email