Pages

Sunday, April 12, 2009

The prince of tides


It's funny. Just as I've written about getting tired of reading old books here at home, I stumbled *yet again* into The Prince of Tides by Pat Conroy. I love this book. It's so tragic, yet it has this certain pull in my heart that secures it's place as one of my all-time favorite books.

Here is an excerpt from my favorite part of the book, wherein Tom says his goodbye to Lowenstein:

Now Susan was crying and leaving her was a killing thing again when she said, "Promise me this, Coach. When you get back to South Carolina, dream one for me. Dream one for Lowenstein"

Honestly, this scene broke my heart. And it still does whenever I read it again. It has this timeless quality that makes me want to cry eventhough I cried for it a thousand times already. It's really... sad. I'm disappointed in how this story ended, I mean, I would have loved to see Tom standing up for himself and doing just that one thing that would've made him happy... but I now know that I shouldn't expect all stories to end the way I like them. I mean, not all stories are fairy tales, and everything doesn't necessarily lead to a happily ever after. I guess it was just a little hard on me that Tom wasn't braver. But no one really is. I guess, in this life, no one can be Prince Charming all the time.

I'd like to recommend this book to everyone. It has some scenes not suitable for kiddos, though. :)) But all in all, if you want to read something that's worthwhile; something remarkable, you've found the perfect book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to My Chismis by Email